Sunday, October 26, 2008

A policeman’s wish on the eve of deepavali

It happened two days before deepavali. It was 8’o clock in the evening. I was in a gym to get my bmi checked. The front desk executive was busy with another appointment (he was talking to one of our college faculty who was getting enrolled for weight loss program). Sitting next to me I the lounge was a traffic police. I don’t know for what reason but I just felt like that I should talk to him. I gave a smile and asked how festival preparation is going on. The reply what I got was not the usual one. Like everyone would say,” not so grand and all. Just a usual festival celebration”.

He said,” We can have a peaceful festival if only the people around us be careful and obey the traffic rules”. I was surprised to hear such a reply. He continued,” how heart breaking it is to hear about some accidents caused because of the impatience of the drivers when we are celebrating festival with our family. Today people cannot even wait for meager 120 sec on the traffic signal. When they are caught evading a red signal they say they are too busy with some urgent work and they could not wait for so long for the signal to turn green. What they don’t realize is the agony which they have to go through if something unfortunate happens. Not just them but their entire family suffers because of a wrong judgment. Same goes with these teenagers for who evading traffic rules is a show of guts”. He went on to tell me about two boys who rode and had banged car earlier that day,” what festival will it be for their parents who would have bought the bike for their sons comfort but ended up crippling them. And it is such a bad fate of ours that we have to see all these things through our naked eyes. That’s why I told if only people behave a little more responsibly; it will be a great deepavali for us too”.

Many of us feel that police are so harsh and rude. I guess they are made like that because of the things that they see or have to go through.

After listening to all this I rode back home at a safe 40 km/hour.

No comments: