Friday, July 18, 2014

India after Gandhi

India after Gandhi is a book written by Ramachandra Guha. The main focus of the book is the series of events that took place after independence was achieved from British colonial rule. 

I have recommended this book to everyone who is remotely interested in Indian history. History lessons taught in Indian school deals only with what happened in India till it got independence on Aug 15th 1947. I have completed reading four fifth of the book and boy, am I amazed. It is a mixture of pride and squimishness. When one thinks about the diversity in India, one can only be amazed how we have survived and continue to be one single nation. When I learnt the phrase unity in diversity back in middle school, I didn't quite think of the enormity. With my own experience of traveling to many parts of India, mostly in the south, it is so true. 

India changes every 100 kms. There is something unique to every place that I have travelled to. 

In less than two weeks I will complete one year being in the US. It is a totally different world out here. I have met people who didn't seem to know that Pakistan was once part of India. They always seem to be overwhelmed about the things they learn about Indians. 

No comments: